Saturday, June 25, 2011

Guest Post ~Sweet Tooth Sweet Life~

Today's Guest Post comes from one of the first blogs I found and instantly became one of my favorites to read daily~Sweet Tooth Sweet Life. Thank you Courtney for sharing this delicious recipe with us, I can't wait to get home and make it!!!

Hey everyone! My name is Courtney and I blog over at Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life. I love blogging about healthy foods, (as well as indulgent ones), fun workouts, my cat Cody, fashion, and the rest of my daily shenanigans. It’s quite a party, so feel free to stop by and say “hi” anytime. I love visitors!

When Bethany reached out to me asking if I’d like to guest post, I was more than happy to do so! Thanks, Bethany! So now while she’s out enjoying her fun in the sun down in Florida, how about we take a look at one of my favorite recipes…

One thing that I really enjoy doing is baking up sweet treats. Usually, cupcakes are the name of the game in my house, but I’ll switch things every now and then to feed whatever I may be craving. One recipe of mine that never gets old? My favorite Apple Crisp!

First, you’ll need to peel, core, and slice your apples. Or go ahead and use your apple peeler and make things a whole lot easier on yourself. If you don’t have one, you should really consider it. Here’s the one that I have, from Bed, Bath & Beyond: Apple Peeler/Corer.


Next, mix together your flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon,
Let them cook for about 10 minutes, just to get slightly soft and super aromatic.
While your apples are in the oven, begin mixing together your topping.
Flour…
Brown Sugar…
Cinnamon + Nutmeg…

Once your dry ingredients are combined, it’s time to cut in your butter. If you have a pastry cutter, then I would recommend using that. But if not, I’ve found that a couple forks work pretty well too.
Truth be told, this step is the one and only step that prevents me from making apple crisp more often. I despise cutting in butter for recipes!
After what seems like an eternity (but really only a couple minutes…I just like to whine about it) you’ll have a soft, crumbly topping.
Your last step? Add the OATS:
Now feel free to sample a bite or two… 
 Spread your mixture evenly on top of your partially baked apples, and pop it all in the oven for another 30-35 minutes.
Then you’ve got yourself one tasty dish of apple crisp!

My favorite way to enjoy my apple crisp is when it’s still warm, topped with a little vanilla ice cream + caramel…


Courtney’s Apple Crisp



Ingredients:

Apple Base:
·         2-1/2 lbs. tart apples, peeled & thinly sliced
·         1/4 cup packed brown sugar
·         1/4 cup flour
·         1/2 tsp cinnamon

Topping:
·         3/4 cup flour
·         1/2 cup brown sugar
·         1 tsp cinnamon
·         1/2 tsp nutmeg
·         6 tbsp cold butter or margarine
·         1 cup old fashioned oats
·         1 cup chopped nuts (optional)


Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place sliced apples evenly into the bottom of a 9×13-inch baking dish, sprayed lightly with non-stick cooking spray. In a small bowl, mix brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Sprinkle evenly over sliced apples. Bake for 10 minutes.
In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Cut in butter, using a pastry cutter or forks. Stir in oats (and nuts if desired) and spread evenly over the top of your apples.
Cook for 30-40 minutes longer, or until lightly golden brown. ENJOY! 
The apple crisp is definitely best served warm, and topped with some vanilla ice cream or whipped topping. Try your best not to eat the whole dish in one sitting. 

The best part about this recipe is that you could so easily just substitute in whichever fruits are seasonally available, or whatever you love most: blueberry, cherry, peach…you name it! I’m sure they’d all be delicious! ENJOY!
and sprinkle over your sliced apples.

No comments:

Post a Comment